Sunday, July 31, 2005

Hot Parattas and the Head of State...

A few days back when my mom asked me to get some Parattas for dinner I took my bike and navigated through a few inner roads before joining TTK road. In the small stretch I crossed hardly a tenth of the whole road I saw 4-5 traffic constables waving the traffic on either side. At a four road junction which doesn't have a signal and is usually left unattended at most times I spotted 2 traffic constables and a traffic Inspector regulating the traffic, I knew something was wrong...

Totally baffled I thought I should ask the traffic Inspector who had held me up for over 2 minutes at that junction But then as he let us go I proceeded to the restaurant and purchased the Parattas. The hot parcel dangling on the handlebar of my motor bike I began my journey home 15-20 minutes later.

As I crossed the one way TTK road and entered I could see the waiting traffic near the bridge. As usual I wriggled my way through the traffic to reach the edge of the waiting traffic. After a while the pilot vehicles started coming on the bridge eager to catch a glance of the VIP I craned my neck to look at the bridge. Maybe our PM was in town... But maybe the US president was in town... Or Maybe it was GOD!!! Few minutes and several vehicles later an SUV blazed through... Guess who? it was our AMMA! Afterwards what looked like ambulances and security vehicles followed. A minute or two after the whole convoy had passed, they let us go, on the whole almost a ten minute wait.

Instead of regulating traffic and saving lives all over the city, the Chennai City Traffic Police is being misused to give AMMA's convoy a free ride home. These arrangements would put those made for our PM or a visiting head of state to shame. As I re-entered TTK road I made a check on the Odometer till I entered the streets leading to my home. unbelievable but 7 traffic policemen had stood in the stretch of about 350 metres I had traveled! Imagine how many traffic police men would've stood all along the way till Amma's new home on the Old Mahabalipuram Road!! Imagine all of the standing to attention saluting AMMA!!! Imagine this happening daily!!!!

JUST IMAGINE.......


Though the Head of our state must have reached home with her convoy in hot pursuit, The Hot Parattas were not so hot when i reached home!
Post a Comment